Dr. Drew On Prostate Cancer: "I Survived"

Dr. Drew has stated that he is a prostate cancer survivor.


Dr. Drew, 55, announced the news in a personal essay on his website on Tuesday.

"Why am I telling you this? I want you to hear it from me. Not from the Internet. Not from a gossip column. Not from someone who doesn't know me,"  the HLN host wrote.


Dr. Drew continued: "And I want to make you aware. Men, you are likely to get prostate cancer. The odds are you will if you live long enough. When you do, don't freak out. You don't need to take action today. In many cases, time is on your side."





Dr. Drew revealed his wife Susan begged him to get a check-up in 2011 and that tests had showed that he could have the illness.


A following biopsy confirmed that he had a tumor, the situation was monitored for more than a year, and that additional biopsies "showed that the mass on my prostate had spread. There was too much volume. The tumor had become unpredictable. Something wasn't right, and my doctor knew it."

Dr. Drew noted: "Treating low-grade prostate tumors is an inexact science. There's what the clinical guidelines recommend. Then there's what the doctor thinks is best. Sometimes, these two forces are at odds."

"Once again, my physician listened to what his gut told him," Dr. Drew explained, adding:  "Had he followed the textbook, my outcome might have been worse."


This July, the  popular doctor and TV personality had surgery,  a radical robotic prostatectomy.



Dr. Drew's tumor had been on the verge of spreading had it not been removed.

Dr. Drew admitted he is now "feeling very good" and is "hopeful I am cured."

Dr. Drew will open up about his experience on Tuesday's "Dr. Drew on Call."



Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts