Freddie Mercury Quotes

1. (on his longtime companion, Mary Austin) All my lovers asked me why they couldn't replace Mary, but it's simply impossible. The only friend I've got is Mary and I don't want anybody else. To me, she was my common-law wife. To me, it was a marriage. We believe in each other, that's enough for me.



2. The lavish presentation appeals to me, and I've got to convince the others.


3. I just like having fun. It's a very good release, rock music, but you know you say that I am a different person on stage and that same thing could be said of anyone going out to do his job. It's my work, and I'm very serious about it, getting it right - when we began, we approached it the way we did because we were not prepared to be out-of-work musicians, ever. We said either take it on as a serious commodity or don't do it at all.

4. I won't be a rock star. I will be a legend.


5. I like people to go away from a Queen show feeling fully entertained, having had a good time. I think Queen songs are pure escapism, like going to see a good film - after that, they can go away and say that was great, and go back to their problems. I don't want to change the world with our music. There are no hidden messages in our songs, except for some of Brian's. 

6. Back in the old days, we were often compared to Led Zeppelin. If we did something with harmony, it was the Beach Boys. Something heavy was Led Zeppelin.


7. (during a concert in Montreal, Canada - 24 or 25 November 1981) Listen, if you guys wanna move around and shift your asses a little…It's okay by us. You can take all your clothes off if you like, too. It doesn't matter…F... off!


8. I always knew I was a star and now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me.

9. I would have loved to have been on the Band Aid record but I only heard about it when I was in Germany. I don't know if they would have had me on the record anyway, because I'm a bit old. I'm just an old slag who gets up every morning, scratches his head and wonders what he wants to f...

10. But, you know, we spent two years putting our act together.


11. I'm possessed by love - but isn't everybody? Most of my songs are love ballads and things to do with sadness and torture and pain. In terms of love, you're not in control and I hate that feeling. I seem to write a lot of sad songs because I'm a very tragic person. But there's always an element of humor at the end. 

12. I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.


13. Montserrat Caballé is sensational. She has that same kind of emotion as Aretha Franklin. The way she delivers a song is so very natural. It's a very different gift. 



14. I'm not into business at all.

15. You can have everything in the world and still be the loneliest man. And that is the most bitter type of loneliness, success has brought me world idolization and millions of pounds. But it's prevented me from having the one thing we all need: A loving, ongoing relationship. 


16. Money may not buy happiness, but it can damn well give it!






17. Can you imagine how terrible it is when you've got everything and you're still desperately lonely? That is awful beyond words. I'm so powerful on stage that I seem to have created a monster. When I'm performing I'm an extrovert, yet inside I'm a completely different man. 


18. I was never too keen on the British music press. They've called us a supermarket hype, and they used to suggest that we didn't write our own songs.




19. I can't win. Love is Russian roulette for me. No one loves the real me inside. they're all in love with my fame, my stardom. I fall in love far too quickly and end up getting hurt all the time. I've got scars all over. But I can't help myself because basically I'm a softie I have this hard, macho shell - which I project on stage but there's a much softer side too, which melts like butter. 


20. I'm very emotional; I think I may go mad in several years' time.


21. (on his relationship with Mary Austin, as quoted in "Rock On Freddie" - 1985) Our love affair ended in tears but a deep bond grew out of it, and that's something nobody can take away from us. It's unreachable...All my lovers ask me why they can't replace her, but it's simply impossible. I don't feel jealous of her lovers because, of course, she has a life to lead, and so do I. Basically, I try to make sure she's happy with whoever she's with and she tries to do the same for me. We look after each other and that's a wonderful form of love. I might have all the problems in the world, but I have Mary and that gets me through.

22. I guess I've always lived the glamorous life of a star. It 's nothing new - I used to spend down to the last dime.


23. (statement to the press (23 November 1991), the day before his death, as quoted at The Biography Channel) Following the enormous conjecture in the press over the last two weeks, I wish to confirm that I have been tested HIV positive and have AIDS. I felt it correct to keep this information private to date to protect the privacy of those around me. However, the time has come now for my friends and fans around the world to know the truth and I hope that everyone will join with my doctors and all those worldwide in the fight against this terrible disease. My privacy has always been very special to me and I am famous for my lack of interviews. Please understand this policy will continue. 

24. What will I be doing in twenty years' time? I'll be dead, darling! Are you crazy?

25. In the early days, we just wore black onstage. Very bold, my dear. Then we introduced white, for variety, and it simply grew and grew.

26. When I'm dead, I want to be remembered as a musician of some worth and substance.


27. It destroys the soul to hear that you're all hype, that you have no talent, and that your whole career has been contrived.

28. I'm hopeless with money; I simply spend what I've got.

29. Onstage, I am a devil. But I'm hardly a social reject.


30. I dress to kill, but tastefully.


31. Talent will out, my dears.

32. When the whole point of Queen was to be original.

33. Is Billy Idol just doing a bad Elvis pout, or was he born that way?


34. The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs.

35. Who wants to live forever?

36. We're a bit flashy, but the music's not one big noise.

37. I want to lead the Victorian life, surrounded by exquisite clutter.


38. Years ago, I thought up the name Queen. It's just a name. But it's regal, obviously, and - sounds splendid.

39. A concert is not a live rendition of our album. It's a theatrical event.


40. Modern paintings are like women, you'll never enjoy them if you try to understand them.

41. You know, I designed the Queen crest. I simply combined all the creatures that represent our star signs - and I don't even believe in astrology.


42. Oh, I was not made for heaven. No, I don't want to go to heaven. Hell is much better. Think of all the interesting people you're going to meet down there!

43. One night Roger was in a foul mood and he threw his entire bloody drumset across the stage. The thing only just missed me - I might have been killed.


44. I am a romantic, but I do put up a barrier around myself, so it is hard for people to get in and to know the real me.

45. I got my diploma from Ealing College of Art, in graphics and illustration.


46. Does it mean this, does it mean that, that's all anybody wants to know. I'd say what any decent poet would say if anyone dared ask him to analyze his work: if you see it, darling, then it's there!


47. We're a very expensive group; we break a lot of rules. It's unheard of to combine opera with a rock theme, my dear.

48. I'm as gay as a daffodil, my dear!


49. I have fun with my clothes onstage; it's not a concert you're seeing, it's a fashion show.


50. The bigger the better; in everything.

51. The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course.

52. If I had to do it all over again? Why not, I would do it a little bit differently.


53. We were disliked by the press in the early days because they couldn't put their finger on us, and that was the case with Zeppelin as well.


54. Get on your bikes and ride!

55. We've gone overboard on every Queen album. But that's Queen.


56. Interview? Oh don't be ridiculous!




57. And, we have no such thing as a budget anymore. Our manager freaks when we show him the bill. We're lavish to the bone, but all our money goes back into the product.

58. We're confident people will take to us, because although the camp image has already been established by people like Bowie and Bolan we are taking it to another level. The concept of Queen is to be regal and majestic. Glamour is part of us and we want to be dandy. We want to shock and be outrageous instantly. 


59. I like to be surrounded by splendid things.


60. I hate pockets in trousers...By the way, I do not wear a hose. My hose is my own. No coke bottle, nothing stuffed down there.



61. I think my melodies are superior to my lyrics.

62. Jimi Hendrix is very important. He's my idol. He sort of epitomizes, from his presentation on stage, the whole works of a rock star. There's no way you can compare him. You either have the magic or you don't. There's no way you can work up to it. There's nobody who can take his place.


63. If we're weird onstage, I don't know what you'd call the Tubes.





64. Led Zeppelin is the greatest. Robert Plant is one of the most original vocalists of our time. As a rock band they deserve the kind of success they're getting.


What do you think of Freddie Mercury's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts